Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Verdict Is In

In a fit of procrastinating studying for exams (which are now done... it's officially Christmas break, hooray!!), I came through on my promise to research the best of the cosmetic industry in order to avoid wasting any more money on finding, well, the best. I did a little internet browsing but books proved to be a more trustworthy source, given the lack of advertising or bias toward a sponsor company (even though it often seemed like it given the rave reviews of Clinique I continually found). I'll skip the scientific mumbo-jumbo and the detailed reasoning behind why these are so great (usually has to do with other products being too irritating or not having better ingredients than their less expensive counterparts) and just give you the rundown of the best products, especially for combination to oily skin.

Top 5 companies:
Clinique
MAC
Estee Lauder
Neutrogena
Prescriptives
(I know... I was very surprised to not see La Mer, Chanel and the like topping the list as well, but pricey plus good marketing does not always equal the best for your skin).

A few top products:

Makeup
Makeup brushes: Sonia Kashuk (thanks Target!)
Foundation: Clinique Perfectly Real or Dewy Smooth Anti-aging SPF 15 (Almost Makeup tinted moisturizer is also a great option if you don't need the coverage)
Concealer: Mary Kay Signature concealer
Blush: MAC powder blush, sheertone or shimmer
Mascara: Clinique Lash Doubling or High Impact Mascara
Lips: everything in the Bobbi Brown line

Skin care
Cleanser: Clinique Liquid facial soap mild
Moisturizers: Clinique Dramatically Different Gel in tube, Continuous Rescue Antioxidant Moisturizer, and Moisture-in-Control Oil-free Lotion; also Acne Solutions Clearing Moisturizer for acne-prone skin like mine
Scrub: Most recommended not using a scrub, insisting that cleanser on a soft washcloth will do the same thing, but if you must... Olay Definity Pore Refining Scrub
Spot Treatment: Mary Kay Acne Gel
Pore Treatment: Clinique Pore Perfector

Many of these are already in my makeup drawer... Clinique is definitely my go-to brand. Every time I try to stray away, lured by pretty packaging (I am SUCH a sucker for it) and the grass being greener (literally... Burt's Bees natural skincare is great but many products are not effective), I always end up deciding I like Clinique's line much better.

I also found this incredibly helpful product report from Beautypedia... perfect for those who aren't too keen on department store beauty and are having a little wallet trouble lately (along with the rest of America).

Recession Proof Beauty


Ciao!

No comments: